Sunday, September 07, 2008

Ten Tips for Reading 'What Lies Beneath'

On the eve of my first book going public, I thought I'd put out a top ten list to accompany its release. What lies below is a list of tips that may help you in your trek across the pages of What Lies Beneath.
  1. Make a mental note of anything that seems significant. If it seems important, it probably is.
  2. Don't expect all loose threads to be tied up in this book. Some matters aren't resolved until the final chapters of Akin to Pity (the second and final book in the tale).
  3. Give yourself time to read What Lies Beneath in uninterrupted chunks - it will be difficult to tame the narrative if you only read it a page or two at a time.
  4. Try to spot the literary allusions - there's quite a few although some are a bit obscure.
  5. Pay heed to the names. Many of them reveal a thing or two about the characters, creatures and countries of the Myr.
  6. Get attached to certain characters but don't expect them all to live.
  7. Consult with the Map on my wiki if you get a bit lost.
  8. Check out the Characters page of the wiki if you'd like some more details on the characters.
  9. Feel free to email me if you need clarification of anything you stumble across in the book.
  10. Don't expect literary genius. The book is - after all - a hobby. It's far from perfect, but I hope you find it interesting enough to read to the end.
I'll be giving details in my next post about where/how to buy the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment