Friday, June 06, 2008

Arrival

Something came in the mail today... it was rectangular and surprisingly heavy.


Now what happens now the book's here? Well, I need to reread it and make sure there are no printing issues. Then I make my changes and get the whole thing printed again. I am just euphoric about how the thing looks, but I will be making changes. The font is a little too small. My fault, not theirs. I wanted to save paper by making the text small, but it's a little too hard to read. I also need to shift around a few things like the dedications to everything is nice and symmetrical. This means it will be a little while before the book can be purchased, but - as I have to remind myself - it's a hobby, so I can take my time.

By the way, the cover photo was taken by Shaun Quinlan. I found it on Morguefile which is a wonderful site that contains free image reference material for use in all creative pursuits. The lake in the picture is Lake Wakitipu in New Zealand which is not far from Queenstown in the South Island. I chose it for a number of reasons. Firstly, it's a beautiful photograph. Secondly, I have a sentimental attachment to New Zealand - when I was a wee lad, my dad took our family for an extended holiday in New Zealand and my memories of that time are the most vivid memories I have of my childhood. Lastly, it's a perfect match for Lake Erras, the lake that features prominently in the early chapters of What Lies Beneath. It also comes back into prominence towards the end of the second book Into the Endless. The trilogy's title Caliban's End is derived from the great vortex that lies at the heart of this fictional lake.


View Larger Map

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:11 am

    Hi Paul . Congratulations. I like the photo of you and your friends. Good luck, please let me know when I can purchase your masterpiece, of course I will need the author to sign it. Love always. Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:18 am

    Congratulations Paul! The picture is very funny.

    I look forward to purchasing the book.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great photo......... I'm looking forward to reading the book and then having regular chats with the author!

    ReplyDelete